If you are planning on installing a ceiling fan in an outdoor location, it is important to purchase a fan that is designed specifically for that purpose. If you install an indoor fan in an outdoor area it is likely to short out (which can be hazardous) or simply break down prematurely. Outdoor ceiling fans are designed differently than indoor ceiling fans because they need to be able to the forces of mother nature.
Here are some of the ways that outdoor ceiling fans differ from those made for indoors:
- The decorative motor casing is either sealed or designed to prevent water or moisture from coming in contact with the actual motor inside.
- The wiring is a higher grade with additional shielding.
- Screws and other components are typically made of stainless steel.
- The finish on the motor casing and hardware is usually a weather resistant powder coat, stainless steel, or has some additional protective coating that can handle exposure to the elements.
- The blades are likely made of ABS plastic rather than plywood. ABS is a very strong durable material that resists warping and discoloration from moisture or UV exposure.
- Light fixtures are sealed on top and designed for outdoors
- The mounting hardware is either water tight or designed to prevent water from entering from above.
There are 2 types of outdoor ceiling fans, those rated for DAMP locations and those rated for WET locations. There is a notable difference between the two and it is important that you choose the right type for your application. In either case, make sure the fan you purchase is UL Listed for the application you need so that you know it can be safely installed without creating a potential electrical hazard.
Here are the differences between the two types of outdoor fans:
Damp rated outdoor fans are designed to handle moisture but not direct contact with rain or running water. Therefore, a damp rated outdoor ceiling fan can be installed in a covered area such as a patio or screened in porch or other areas that are protected from rain or dripping water.
Wet rated outdoor fans are designed to handle direct exposure to rain. They can be installed in virtually any indoor or outdoor location, covered or uncovered. So you can install a wet rated outdoor ceiling fan in an open gazebo, lattice covered lanai or other similar shade structure as well as under a covered porch or patio. Because wet rated outdoor fans are pretty much water tight, you can actually clean them by hosing them off…which is a great reason to buy a wet rated fan even if all you need is a damp rated model.
Commonly asked questions about outdoor fans:
Can an outdoor ceiling fan be installed indoors?
Yes, you can install an outdoor fan in your living room or any other room in your home where you want a fan. Many people will do this simply because they like the look of a particular outdoor fan. Also, outdoor fans are highly recommended for laundry rooms and bathrooms or any other room inside your home that that tends to have excessive moisture. In more humid climates, outdoor fans are a great choice for every room in the home.
I live in a very windy area and have had problems with blades breaking off…are there any outdoor fans that are made to handle high winds?
High winds can in fact sheer the blades off a ceiling fan, particularly cheaper models that use lightweight materials. Usually it is the metal blade holders that attach the blades to the fan that break rather than the blades themselves. So if you are in an area prone to high winds, outdoor fans that do not have blade holders are your best choice. If the fan is to be installed in an area that is 9 feet high or less, a hugger style outdoor fan is even better. A perfect example of such a fan is the Minka Aire Concept II Wet, which is one of the very few outdoor fans that meet this criteria.
Are there any outdoor fans that are designed to be taken down easily or that have blades that are easy to take off when a storm is coming?
This is a very common question. Unfortunately the answer is no. There are no ceiling fans designed with a “Quick Disconnect” mechanism or with blades that snap on and off. However, I suppose that if any fan manufacturer came up with such a fan it would be a big seller.
Running wires and installing a junction box can be difficult in many outdoor applications. Are there any outdoor ceiling fans that are battery operated?
Although DC powered ceiling fans are now in fact available, they are not yet powerful enough to handle the needs of outdoor applications, nor are they being designed to work from batteries. Currently, most DC powered ceiling fans use an AC/DC converter, so they still require electrical wiring. However, I would look for this to change in the near future…most likely in the next year or two.
Can a remote control be added to an outdoor ceiling fan?
Most add-on remotes or wall controls are not rated for use outdoors, so unless the control is specifically designed for the fan you are considering and is rated for the correct application (Damp or Wet), then you should not use it. If a remote control or wall control is important to you, look for outdoor fans that have such a control included with the fan.
Can any light fixture be added to an outdoor ceiling fan?
No. Just as ceiling fans are rated for Damp or Wet locations, so are the light fixtures that are used with them. Make sure you purchase a light fixture that is made by the manufacturer of the fan and that has the same rating. If you want an outdoor fan with a light fixture, your best bet is to purchase one comes with one, this way you can be certain they are compatible.
Source by Greg Tillotson
- User Growth Software Allows you to covertly siphon traffic over any authority site to double or triple your leads and sales on autopilot.
- LANDING PAGE MONKEY - ANNUAL PASS EXCLUSIVE DEAL - GET A ANNUAL ACCOUNT / WITH NO AUTOMATIC REBILLING - RESUBSCRIBE NEXT YEAR AT THE SAME PRICE GUARANTEE.
- Instamate Image and Video Editor 2017 Remember, Instamate is the first and ONLY tool in the world to:
1. Post and schedule updates to MULTIPLE Instagram accounts from our web software
2. Find the most viral imagery from Instagram, FB and google to be instantly repurposed, edited and posted to Y
- BacklinksIndexer.com Membership The #1 Rated Indexing Service on the Internet. 3+ Years Running and over 12,000 members. Boost your SEO by Boosting and Indexing your backlinks using our custom backlinks to backlinks system.